One of the wonderful benefits of joining our guild is that we are affiliated with The Modern Quilt Guild, and by joining, you also gain membership to the modern Quilt Guild in the states, which connects us to other guilds and provides discounts on MQG shows (including discounts and special offers from MQG sponsors). Last year, MQG an Riley Blake teamed up to create a wonderful competition open to all MQG members called the Modern Quilt Guild Riley Blake Challenge. Our guild decided to both participate in the competition, and make it interesting within our guild by creating a mini challenge. The rules were:
- Produce a a 24” mini quilt, using ALL of the Riley Blake fabrics provided, and any solid of your choosing.
The due date for our challenge quilts is Sunday the 16th of February, which happens to coincide with our Sunday Sit n Sew day! The categories are as follows:
1) Best use of the Riley Blake challenge fabrics
2) Best use of quilting
3) Best piecing and construction techniques
4) Members’ choice award
5) Best use of every scrap of fabric
We have some wonderful prizes that were generously donated by local quilt shops Kim Bradley Creations, Kate Quilts, PolkaDot Tea Fabrics, and Quilt Jane, as well as prizes thrown in by guild members. We are so lucky to have access to such wonderful shops, so please remember to buy local and give your support to the wonderful Aussie quilting community!
- $50 gift voucher and an English Paper Piecing Kit featuring Kim’s fabulous “Holey Peepers”, papers, Bohin #9 straw needles, Sewline glue pen, glue refills and a quick unpick. Value $100 from Kim Bradley Creations http://kimbradleycreations.com/
- Two mini charm packs, Botanics and Kona Cotton Solids as well as Superior Threads Frosted Donut 2. Value $50 from Guild member Jane Davidson http://quiltjane.blogspot.com.au/
- A “Radiant Orchid” FE Bundle from Guild member Sheridan.
- A $25 gift voucher at Kate Quilts (also a Guild member) http://www.katequilts.com/
- A selection of rulers and fabrics from Guild members Lorena and Sophia
- Two metres of any Cotton Couture Solids inc. shipping from Polka Dot Tea Fabrics on Etsy Value $26
- A jar of Lorena’s Spicy Mango Chutney (it’s worth it’s weight in gold!).
Sarah Fielke has also thrown in a generous prize that includes a copy of her book Hand Quilted with Love (available at Kim Bradley Creations!), and a bundle of fabric. She would like to pick the quilt she likes the best.
The finished quilts must be uploaded onto the MQG Riley Blake forum, via the MQG community site by the 17th of February this year. I’m aware that not everyone is up to speed with technology, so I have a little tutorial on how to upload your finished quilt!
First of all, you must make an account with the MQG. Link is here. Once you’re logged in, you can click through to the community stuff. The community area is located at the top of the MQG page, or just click on this link, which will take you straight through to the Riley Blake forum. To go in the running to win with the MQG, you must enter a picture of your finished quilt into the forum titled FINISHED Riley Blake challenge photos. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, until you see the comment box. In the comment box at the far right, you’ll see a tiny icon of a mountain. Click on it to upload your photo, then follow the instructions.
Once you’ve submitted the photo into the comment box, you can simply click the Post button, but I think it might be nice to mention that you’re a member of GWSMQG, how big the quilt is, and what solids you used. I hope this mini tutorial was helpful!